FAQs: Music Library Fall Re-opening

Library policies
When do you re-open?

The Music Library is re-opening on Tuesday, September 7. We continue to follow public health guidelines in order to keep staff and students safe and healthy. Only those with FOB access to the Edward Johnson Building may reach the Music Library. If you do not have a FOB, you can choose to pick up your library materials at Robarts Library.

See our hours for library open times.

Can I place a hold on library items?

Yes. The University of Toronto Libraries has replaced curbside pickup with the new Request a hold service. You can place requests on items that are available in the stacks and then pick them up at the service desk.

What happened to the HathiTrust service?

In order to re-open the stacks for browsing, the University of Toronto Libraries was obligated to cancel its access to the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service (ETAS) collection. Read more about that obligation.

Where are the Course Reserve books?

Physical course reserves will be available in September. Faculty members can check the Course Support/Syllabus Service information about how to make readings available to students.

Is the Rare Book Room open?

Yes. Contact our archivist Rebecca Shaw (r.shaw@utoronto.ca) to book an appointment to view materials from our Rare Book Collection and Archives.

Is the Performance Collection open?

Yes, the Performance Collection will be open Monday to Friday, 1 pm to 4:30 pm. Please email Karen Wiseman (k.wiseman@mail.utoronto.ca) with any questions

Can I study or use a computer in the library?

Yes, we have study and computer spaces available, with physical distancing in effect. Wear your mask while you study and maintain a 2m distance from other visitors.

Can I book a study carrel this year?

Yes, graduate students can book a study carrel. Wear your mask while you study and maintain a 2m distance from other visitors.

Where can I return my Music Library items?

At the Music Library. The Edward Johnson Building requires an FOB for access. If you do not have FOB access, please return your Music Library items to Robarts Library.

The building door is locked. How do I get to the library?

Contact Reception Desk (reception.music@utoronto.ca) to inquire about FOB access.

When are my books due?

If you picked up a curbside request before the end of August 2021, your books are due September 29, 2021. Normal due dates will resume September 20, 2021.

Library services
What kind reference services are available?
  1. Drop in! Ask for help at the service desk. We can help you face-to-face or set up a virtual meeting according to your comfort zone.
  2. For quick questions such as how to access materials in our catalogue, you can refer to the Ask Chat. Please note that this does not necessarily reach a Music Library staff member.
  3. If you would like to book a reference consultation with one of our Music Library staff, please use the Book a Reference Consultation form.
Are you open on Saturdays?

We will not be open on Saturdays for the month of September 2021. We will re-evaluate our open hours in late September/early October 2021.

Can I pay my fines?

Yes, you can still pay your fines online.

How do I get access to the most recent copy of a journal?

Come to the library! The most recent journal issues can be found on the main floor of the library. For other options, meet with a reference librarian. We may be able to find what you need online, or through Scan and Deliver Service (re-opens September 7).

I need an article from a print journal. What are my options?

Visit the library.

Scanned copies of articles from print journals are now available. See the Scan and Deliver service for more information. Scan and Deliver re-opens September 7.

I purchased an Alumni Reader card or External Reader card. Since the library has been closed for several months, can I get a rebate?

Your expiry date has been extended to make up for your lost months of service.

I have music to donate. Are you accepting donations?

We are still not accepting donations to our regular collections. We are accepting archival donations. Donors should contact Jan Guise (jan.guise@utoronto.ca) or Rebecca Shaw (r.shaw@utoronto.ca).

Library equipment
Can I use the printer?

Yes! Print jobs are sent to the photocopying machines.

Are the photocopiers available?

Yes, we have two photocopiers available at the Music Library. See details.

Can I use the keyboard on the lower level?


What equipment can I borrow from the library?

Yes! Starting September 7, we have Sony A7II cameras (with 4k video) available for loan. See Computers and technology loans for more details and to book equipment. We also have Zoom handheld field recorders, adapters, cables, and other accessories available for loan.

Didn't find an answer here? Please call the Music Library at (416) 978-3734, or send us an email. See Our people for staff contact information.